Monday, April 14, 2014

The Terrible Things I Will Resort to With No Place to Park

I try to be an honest person, so I actually pay the money required for an annual parking pass – unlike many students I know. There are those who figure the price of a couple of tickets throughout the year would cost them less than the eighty bucks for the pass. It is a risk they are willing to take.

Then I am the one who gets the ticket...

for parking in a specified UVU license plate space. Yup. Me. The honest woman who actually paid to park on campus. I only found the ticket by accident, and that was three days after it was issued. It was crammed way down under my hood so it wouldn’t blow away unless the entire car did.

Oh, you’d better believe I contested that one. They even showed me the picture of my vehicle with my license plate and the sign saying the space was reserved for UVU license plate cars only. Well, I sure didn’t see that posted as I rushed to find a parking place. I was just thrilled to finally see that one had opened up. Thankfully, after my whining and pleas for mercy, they excused the ticket - just this once.
               
 I have heard it said that UVU doesn’t have a parking problem – we have a walking problem. What is that supposed to mean? That we are lazy? For me it is just a time management issue.

Supposedly there are a minimum of twenty empty parking places available on campus at any given time. The same someone that thinks we have a walking problem must have figured out that there are twenty cars simultaneously backing out of a stall somewhere on campus. My theory is that person forgot to take into account there are multiple drivers ready to pounce on each stall as soon as it is vacated
.
Like all statistics, you can make the numbers say anything you want.

And what about those days when there are expos or public events being held on campus? Students aren’t even allowed to park in entire lots on those days. Does that mean we have a negative number of parking spots available then? Like that’s gonna work.
                           
Our parking garage has provided one solution – for those who can afford to park there. It only costs $750 per year. Personally, I don’t know many students that can swing that much
I bet the twenty empty parking places are in there, and that’s why I can’t find them.

UVU is considered a commuter school because there is no on-campus housing. That means almost everyone has to drive to school, thus we have a lot of cars. And try finding another student with the same schedule to carpool with. Good luck with that.
                 

Personally, I just might be willing to cut down a few trees and sacrifice some grass to have more student parking available. Just don’t give me another ticket when I do it. Right now I am late for class - because I couldn't find anywhere to park. 
                         

2 comments:

  1. I love the fact you got out of the ticket...that is awesome! Could your next blog be about all the people standing around the buildings smoking...as I walk in from my pristine perfect picture of the freeway parking, I barely have breath left and I encounter all the smoke....I almost died. It was also ironic that the guys out smoking by the library were actually leaning against the bright yellow NO SMOKING sign...I mean REALLY?

    Julie

    ReplyDelete