Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sadistic Statistics

When I decided to complete my Bachelor’s degree at the age of 53 and after 33 years of not attending college, I thought I wouldn’t need to take any more math. I had already gotten my Associates degree and the credits transferred to the university I attend without a hitch. General Education complete – check.

But NOOOOO! I soon discovered that I would have to take two preparatory math classes before I could even register for the one I needed to graduate – Introduction to Statistics. Oh joy.
                         
                              

That first semester, my professor had such a thick accent I knew I was in trouble the first week. I thought I must have missed an important concept when she kept referring to “this ‘dum’ and this ‘dum’ equals this ‘dum’”. I bravely raised my hand and asked her what a ‘dum’ was. She replied, “T-E-R-M. Dum”. This was not good.

Thankfully I had an AMAZING professor the next semester – the best Math teacher I have ever had. I worked my guts out, but I got a good grade because of him. Thanks Mr. Gedeborg.

Enter the aptly nicknamed “Sadistics”. It didn’t help that the teacher was the most disorganized human being I have ever known. He actually forgot to bring his daily quiz four times in the first few classes. Instead of not worrying about it, he left class for 15 minutes to go make the copies. Crazy.

The real cherry on top was that part of each test he gave was a take home portion. Rather than have it open book, like every normal teacher, we could only use ONE page of notes. Just one. So…which one should I chose from my pile? I could either rewrite them in miniscule print or put them on a poster size paper. That is one page, right?
                           
My Statistics grade isn’t one I am proud of, but at least I passed. And I NEVER have to take another Math class in my life.  So if you see me walking down the street anytime soon, I will probably be doing my happy dance and chanting my new mantra, “C’s get degrees! C’s get degrees”. 
                                    

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! If I wasn't married to a statistician I would hate it also! I actually went to my counselor and asked...what degree can I get...without having to take math...no one ever told me Economics was math...it just starting with an E and ending with "am I ever going to pass this class.?" I found the second time around...really...doesn't help...who am I kidding? :) Hope all is well! Julie

    ReplyDelete